Friday, June 24, 2011

Gear Review: Women's Vasque Taku GTX Hiking Boots

Anyone who knows me well knows that I don't wear boots. I'm a hiking shoes girl, and have been since the mid-90's when I discovered how nimble and airy light I felt while wearing them. Plus, they take no time to break in, to dry if they get wet, and they're easy to slip on and off. I could go on, but this review is for the boots.

Tim - who is constantly on to me about wearing something "with more support" - signed up to get an opportunity to review these Vasque Taku GTX hikers and the Goodhew Medium Hiker socks over at the Outdoor Blogger Network. At the same time, he was in the running to win those Vasque trail shoes you've heard so much about.

Because he won the shoes, he thought it only fair to give up the opportunity at the boots and socks, but requested that I get them to review instead. Funny how things work out. He sort of mentioned it to me, but really kept the details a secret until he was certain I was getting them. I know what he was up to. Trying to convert me to boots... humph!


So here I am... the hiking shoe girl reviewing a pair of hiking boots. That meant I had to wear them. I had to put my beloved hiking shoes aside and put on a pair of boots. It was the end of the world.

I do want to warn you. I find most boot reviews to be way too technical in terminology, and I'm going to make sure this one is understandable by the majority. Yes, I know what an Achilles cutout is, but I'm not too sure about all the other terminology I've seen on boot reviews (EVA for cushion?? TPU chassis?? Grooved lugs and arch-wrapping shanks?? Are we reviewing a boot or building a boat??). Everything I know about a hiking boot can be summed up inside a Fortune Cookie:

"Comfy Boots Make Happy Feet"

Anyway, when the boots arrived (and the scent of new shoes hijacked this "typical", shoe-lovin' woman's brain), all of a sudden I felt like a kid with new Air Jordan's. Pregnant and sick or not, I was ready to hike!

I know better than this, ya'll - I really do. But I flicked Jiminy Cricket off my shoulder, and after only wearing them around the house for maybe two hours, I put the boots on that very weekend, climbed 2 miles into the rocky terrain of the Smokies, descended 2 miles back to the car over that limestone hell, and then whined all the way home about my ankles hurting.

So in the weeks that have ensued, I've been trying my best to break in these boots in time to do a proper review. But let me tell you... the boots are winning! Being the supportive, Gore-Tex, off trail hikers that they are, they are slowly coming around and molding to my feet, ankles, and legs. And my feet, ankles, and legs are slowly getting used to wearing boots again. And I love it!

I love the support they give me - especially since I'm known around here as Ms. Accident Prone. The padding around the upper part of the boot supports without being too overbearing. They allow me to move, but keep my legs anchored to my feet - instead of the jiggly feeling I get in hiking shoes.

I love that they are waterproof, too. Since I'm bound to fall-slip-splash in every creek I see (I'll admit, sometimes on purpose) I love that I don't have to WAIT for my boots/shoes to dry out. And yet, they're breathable! My feet never once felt sweaty while wearing them.

And I can't forget to mention how light these boots are! It's unbelievable really. Weighing in at 1 lb 15oz, they are only 7 ounces heavier than my hiking shoes! But yet, none of the underfoot protection is sacrificed in this lightweight boot. The Vibram sole practically sticks to whatever you're walking on, and I hardly felt a thing poking my feet. I did notice they slide a bit in loose rock, but really - what shoe doesn't?

These boots are amazing really. Besides function, they look great, too (important to most women). And mine came with an extra pair of laces. Woot Woot!

I remember boots that were bulky and heavy and downright ugly. They made your feet sweat, they bogged you down, were a clunky addition to your gait, and if you wanted a waterproof pair, you had best shelled out over $250. But that was 15 years ago. So, yes - keep in mind that I haven't owned a pair of boots in 15 years, and boots have come a long way. That doesn't mean I haven't tried any on. I've just never been happy with how confined I felt in them. Initially, I felt confined in these as well - and you will too if you're a shoe person like me. But the boots were very comfortable, and I wore them in the house before the hike just a bit with no pain. I've worn them afterwards with no pain. This is good sign. It was my mistake to take them on the trail so soon. So I'm not counting off points for the pain I had afterwards. I should have broken them in properly. And I'm working on that. And I'll revisit this review after I've got a good 50 miles on them.

For the Spec Lover in you:

Vasque Taku GTX Hiking Boot's - Women's Specs


Retail Price: $165.00
MasseysOutfitters.com $169.00
Best Use: Hiking
Shoe Height: Over-the-ankle
Shoe Closure: Lace up
Waterproof: Yes
Upper: Waterproof nubuck leather/nylon mesh
Lining: Gore-Tex waterproof breathable membrane/nylon
Midsole: EVA
Support: Thermoplastic urethane plate
Outsole: Vibram rubber
Avg Weight: 1 lb. 15 oz. (880grams or 0.88 kg)
Color: Neutral Tan/Chili Pepper

Vasque Taku GTX Hiking Boots - Men's Specs


Retail Price: $165.00
Masseysoutfitters.com $169.00
Best Use: Hiking
Shoe Height: Over-the-ankle
Shoe Closure: Lace up
Waterproof: Yes
Upper: Waterproof nubuck leather/nylon mesh
Lining: Gore-Tex waterproof breathable membrane/nylon
Midsole: EVA
Support: Thermoplastic urethane plate
Outsole: Vibram rubber
Avg Weight: 2 lbs. 7 oz. (1110 grams or 1.11 kg)
Color: Slate Black/Estate Blue


Disclaimer: Robin received the Women's Vasque Taku GTX Hiking Boots from the Outdoor Bloggers Network's Gear Review Opportunity. In being rewarded the boots she was required to review them here on Appalachia & Beyond. The opinions expressed above are Robin's independent thoughts and experiences.