Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Exploring Maude's Crack - 02/06/11

This past weekend seemed to fly by. I don't know where time went, but we spent most of Saturday trying to get caught up on some necessary evils (aka chores). We did get a small walk in at the park around sunset, and a longer one hunting food items at the grocery store. Saturday was pretty gloomy anyway, and the wind was crazy! Sunday promised clearer skies and nothing more than a whisper of wind, so we were bound and determined to utilize our Sunday time playing outside.

Before I go any further, let me explain that the roles are reversed here a little. Tim usually writes these trail posts, and I usually tote the camera around hoping to capture a cute little something to add to his words. This time, he's taken all the photos, and I get to be the post-writing queen. So let me apologize in advance for the less-than-technical trail post, and the likely ensuing bathroom humor.

See, Tim has been the epitome of wonderful husbands, and has purchased me a brand new appendage --- err... camera! So, even though the Present Truck hasn't brought my new baby yet, I've passed down my other baby to him. He's very interested in learning at least the basics. I can't wait to see what he comes up with. I'll still help him with post-production (it takes a while to learn the ins and outs of Photoshop), but I'm sure he'll pick up quick.


Anyway - back to the trip....

Sunday morning, I crawled out of bed long after Tim had. I stumbled into the kitchen hoping to find an all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet, but was greeted only by hot coffee. At least it was hot, right?! Things can always be worse.




It was already after eleven, I was feeling a bit more than sluggish, and one glance at Tim told me he was feeling the same: like poo! We've both been trying to convince ourselves (and each other) that we hadn't contracted Ashby's recent cold -- Mind over Mountain, yes?! -- and so I posed the inevitable question...

"Did you decide where we should go today?"

His response, "I was thinking about Maude's Crack."

Hilarity followed. Tim had only mentioned Maude's Crack to me once before, and I couldn't help but laugh hysterically then. This time, I thought it fit our situation (and the way we felt!) just perfectly. That's exactly where we belonged: in Maude's Crack.

Maude's Crack is a geological wonder, a large crevice in sandstone, situated on the backend of the western boundary of BSFNRA, right near the banks of No Business Creek.

And I am not joking. I can't make this crap up!

Now, to locate Maude's Crack you'll need a car that is preferably not a recently washed tiny little Nissan Versa. But if that's all you've got, then you'll have to swallow your pride and drive that baby for a long, long way down the bumpy, rutty, washed out, muddy, two-way but single lane Divide Road. Did I mention it was a long way? It took us nearly 30 minutes to drive to the trailhead once we left the paved road going a maximum of 25 mph. After finally reaching the Terry Cemetery Trailhead parking area, Maude's Crack is a short, easy 1.2 miles away. The trail is relatively level - a couple small elevation losses and gains - and was wide enough most of the way for us to walk side-by-side.

Maude's Crack, however, is steep, rugged, and extremely muddy this time of year. Definitely not the place this girl wanted to be feeling cruddy and crusty already, but Tim ventured inside Maude's Crack while Clover and I waited at the opening. Clover took time away from "bear watch" to sniff all around Maude's Crack while I rested against the moss-covered walls. Upon return, Tim reported that Maude's Crack was the prettiest he'd ever seen, and that it opened up quite nicely on the other side. My stomach still hurts from giggling at every insinuation that crept inside this silly head of mine.

Even though we felt terrible and the trip to the trailhead took a whole heckuva lot longer than we expected, we had a great time on this short little trail. Hopefully soon we can return and continue the length of the trail down to the creek and the ruins of the old community, No Business.


Until next time,

Robin and Tim