Thursday, December 16, 2010

An Icy Flint Ridge

As much as we love being in the outdoors, nothing makes us want to stay indoors more than treacherous weather. If it's raining a bit, no problem. If there's some snow coming down, we will even brave that. However, when there is a tenth of an inch of ice covering everything, there's no way we are getting out anywhere. This happens to be the case today on Flint Ridge.

Flint Ridge is the name of the ridge we live upon here in our neck of the Appalachian region. The ridge was named for the abundant amount of flint rock that you can find here. As a matter of fact, we have used the stones to edge our flower beds around the house, and even to line our fire pit out back, which we love to sit around when we can't sit around one whilst camping.




Overnight we received another dusting of snow, which promptly turned to freezing rain as warm southern air filtered in aloft. By the time Robin and I went to bed everything had been frozen over with a nice coat of ice. This morning I awoke in my typical weekday fashion and peered out the window to gauge whether or not I'd be able to make the trek to work. Of course at first glance the answer was apparent. Especially considering that we haven't had our car a year yet, in no way am I about to risk damage to our most reliable mode of transportation, not counting our feet.

In the few hours I've sat in the house, I can count on one hand the number of vehicles I've seen go up and down the road. All of them have been trucks or SUV's of some sort. Rather than go out and brave the elements and driving conditions, I believe that we will stay indoors today, sipping coffee and staying warmed by the kerosene heater.

 



By the way, I did venture out earlier this morning to check first hand how bad the ice is. Let's just say, that as Robin watched from the window she reminded me that if I fell while playing out there, I'd have to suffer from whatever injuries I might sustain as a result because she wasn't driving me to the emergency room in this mess.

Happy Trails and Stay Warm,
Tim and Robin


P.S. Robin and I just came back in from checking things out. We finally had a chance to try out our ice cleats. They work wonderfully in the little bit of ice we have. Our only other question is how would they handle in thicker ice? Things are starting to thaw, but there's still a ways to go.